With the first snowfall looming just around the corner, it’s important to make sure that your storage space is ready to weather the winter. Whether you’re storing vehicles or just boxes of decorations, your space has to be ready for anything this winter season throws at you. Here are a few reminders to help you prepare:
- Worried about water damage? Get some wooden pallets to keep your boxes off the ground! It’s simple, quick, and you’ll have palettes around for great spring DIY’s when the time comes.
- Remember to wrap anything you don’t want animals or bugs getting into! As much as we would all like to pretend that bugs and rodents won’t get into our storage, it happens and somethings are just not worth risking. Try layering up with two trash bags, another layer of bubblewrap, anything to make it just that much harder to get into.
- Grease those hinges! Cold can make garage doors loud and doors and windows stick. Buy a can of WD-40 or something similar to make sure that your space stays as quiet as possible through those cold months.
- Consider the temperature limitations of the items you have. Not everyone has the luxury of temperature controlled storage so it is a good idea to consider how various items hold up under freezing temperatures. Grandma’s snow globe that was made in 1915? Probably not the best thing to keep in cold temperatures as it might freeze and shatter. If you have no choice but to keep these items in the cold, wrap them up in a blanket and don’t leave them in storage any longer than they have to be.
- Lastly, remember to lock up! Because terrible weather and slushy streets come hand in hand with winter, people often make fewer trips to their storage places. That means a decreased likelihood of catching if you’ve left the lock open. Remember to double and triple check that your stuff is safely secured from the outside world!
Winterizing your space is necessary so that your items stay as pristine as they were when you first packed them away. Still in need of space to put your stuff or have extra space you might like to rent out? Visit the STOW IT website or download the free STOW IT App!